On the east wall of the Rosewood Hotel Georgia lobby is an intriguing piece of art. Created by UK artist Patrick Hughes, the work with protrusions appears to recede, and the receding parts appear to protrude, an optical illusion on a 3-dimensional surface where parts of the picture which seem farthest away are physically the nearest, and as the guests walk by the work, the composition appears to be continually moving.
Next month, the 25th BC Children’s Hospital annual For Children We Care Gala will effervesce with sequined gowns, sharp tuxedos, bubbly flutes of Champagne, and bidding paddles. This year’s gala is expected to draw more than 800 philanthropic and business leaders and aims to raise $5 million in one night for critical funds for BC Children’s Hospital’s world-class orthopedic team.
At the centre of the evening’s fundraising strategy is the auctioning of another confounding Hughes piece entitled Andy, Jeff, Damien. The piece, donated by Christian Chia, CEO of the OpenRoad Auto Group and his wife Carole Chia, is valued at $217,500.
With Andy, Jeff, Damien, Hughes playfully presents the interior of a museum, showcasing the works of iconic yet controversial pop artists Andy Warhol, Jeff Koons, and Damien Hirst.
This is an important, large-scale piece representing Hughes’ vision at its best. With its intricate hand-painted details, impeccable construction, and desirable subject matter, this highly collectible work will decidedly appeal to the gala attendees.
(This charity event has been postponed due to COVID-19).
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Communications, publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine, and multiple digital lifestyle blogs. She is a content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist in the luxury lifestyle niche. She is a regular content contributor to Retail-Insider and has a vast freelance portfolio including Boulevard English & Chinese editions, Indulge, and Montecristo Magazine. When not attending high-profile events in Vancouver's 'Luxury Zone’ or on assignment abroad, she is honing her plant-based cooking skills and caring for her rescues. firstname.lastname@example.org
- ☆ Issue #11 - February 20202020.03.06FolioYVR Issue #11: Ladurée by Matthew Kenney is a Vegan Pastry Paradise
- ☆ Issue #11 - February 20202020.03.06FolioYVR Issue #11: Elegant Getaway to LA’s Beverly Wilshire
- ☆ Issue #11 - February 20202020.03.03FolioYVR Issue #11: Cameron Silver, Legendary Vintage Curator
- ☆ Issue #11 - February 20202020.02.26Folio.YVR Issue #11: Laurence & Chico: Love & Legacy of Largess