Whether visiting Whistler for a quick weekend away or a more extended stay, using the opportunity to venture into the wilderness, either for ‘forest bathing’ or sight-seeing, is a must. Within a window of a few hours, you can experience the west coast rainforest, the lush vegetation, expansive glaciers, and observe wildlife in their true home.
Our Four Seasons Whistler concierge recommended an early morning photo safari, so the following morning we were in the lobby at 6 am sharp enjoying a fresh roast coffee, ready to explore.
We met Nick Aubertin, an avid wildlife photographer and guide for Whistler Photo Safari, who instructed us on the etiquette of wildlife watching before leading us to a new Jeep Wrangler JK. Strapped in and comfortable, we pulled out of the Four Seasons on a mountain mission to locate and photograph the elusive bears.
The Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains are home to many animal populations, but it is the powerful and impressive bears that people, from around the world, come to see. Recent estimates have the bear population around 60 and the best months for viewing are May and June.
Along the highway and throughout our adventure, Aubertin was quick to spot movement and identify sounds coming from the thick forest. Driving up the extremely rocky and winding trails, he also took us to an incredible vantage point to experience the power of the breath-taking Alexander Falls, and after prompting, shared his story of traveling to Canada from the UK and his decision to make Whistler home.
Although known for its snowy peaks and its thriving community of winter sports enthusiasts, Whistler is also a fantastic destination in the spring and summer time for those who cherish the opportunity to connect with nature—albeit at a much slower pace.
Our guided mountain experience was amazing and by 9 am, we were back at the Four Seasons, energized, enjoying a hearty buffet at Sidecut Restaurant and mapping out the rest of the day
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Communications, publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine, and multiple digital lifestyle blogs. She is a content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist in the luxury lifestyle niche. She is a regular content contributor to Retail-Insider and has a vast freelance portfolio including Boulevard English & Chinese editions, Indulge, and Montecristo Magazine. When not attending high-profile events in Vancouver's 'Luxury Zone’ or on assignment abroad, she is honing her plant-based cooking skills and caring for her rescues. email@example.com
- ☆ Issue #14 - June 20222022.07.03Chef Chanthy Yen: For the Planet & A Prime Minister ☆ Folio.YVR Issue 14
- ☆ Folio.YVR Friends2022.07.02Oakridge x Pac Rim Patio: Take Your Thirst Outside!
- ☆ Issue #14 - June 20222022.06.25Cloud Fazioli: Ethereal Percussion ☆ Folio.YVR Issue 14
- ☆ Issue #14 - June 20222022.06.25Rundle Bar: A Heart of Cocktails & Class ☆ Folio.YVR Issue 14