Vancouver-based designer boutique Obakki is making waves with its recent shift to homewares and lifestyle products in addition to its existing ready-to-wear apparel collection. The brand remains as committed to ethical products as ever – but this move represents a greater focus on Indigenous artisan groups worldwide by founder Treana Peake.
This exciting shift is underpinned by the concept of Intentional Living, the action of slowing down and being mindful of purchasing decisions, ensuring that they are rooted in beliefs and values, and above all, in quality. Obakki is a response to modern throwaway culture, and they want to empower the modern conscious consumer to bring this message with them wherever they shop.
The company develops these ideals through their Obakki Foundation, which supports clean water, education, and other people-driven projects in Africa.
From a Blacksmith in Nairobi
The Kenya brass collection is constructed entirely of up-cycled brass, ranging from discarded taps to padlocks and old coins in the ultimate display of sustainability.
The collection comes from a Nairobi artisanal co-op manned by their blacksmithing partner Sylvester, who has carried on his family’s legacy in the trade. He runs his workshop with experienced hands and simple tools and aspires to open a training centre to teach blacksmithing to local underprivileged youth.
The collection offers plenty of options for the design-conscious shopper. Their line of earrings has been delicately crafted to form tiny crescent moons, paper-thin geometric designs, and used alongside other recycled materials.
Their rings show off their true uniqueness, with embellishments from a hammered finish showing through and contrast-heavy designs.
This isn’t the only Kenyan collection on display at Obakki; they also feature woven sisal fibre baskets by women in the Kitui region of the country. The country continues to be a source of incredible design for Obakki,
Craftsmanship Born By Fire
The next collection unveiled by the boutique comes from Mexico’s Oaxaca region, where artisans from over 70 pottery communities have produced an entire line of products that encompass everything that there is to love about slow design.
The practical pieces range from red clay dessert plates to rustic splattered jars and pitchers.
The eclectic hand-thrown Coyotepec Vase looks at home in any design showroom, yet retains the organic shape of a practical handmade heirloom. Each artisan uses a unique mixture of earthen materials to form their personal imprint on each piece, as has been done in the region for hundreds of years.
Intentional Living for All
Obakki’s most recent collections are currently available exclusively for online orders. Their most recent additions bolster their strong product lineup, including Japanese candles and brass, apparel, and a wide range of artisanal home goods. A walk through Obakki is a treat for your curiosity and a vote of support for ethical manufacturing.
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Marketing & Communications Inc and publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine and digital women's lifestyle magazine EcoLuxLifestyle.co. She is a prolific content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist within the ecoluxury lifestyle niche. Post-pandemic, she has worked with many small to mid-sized plant-based/vegan brands to build their digital foundations and strategize content creation and business development. Helen is the west coast correspondent to Canada’s top-read industry magazine Retail-Insider, holds a vast freelance portfolio, and consults with many of the world’s luxury heritage brands. Always seeking new opportunities and challenges, you can email her at [email protected].
- EcoLuxLifestyle: Shopping SustainablySeptember 12, 2022EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Main Street: Five Feel-Good Shopping Experiences
- EcoLuxLifestyle: Health & WellnessAugust 15, 2022EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Mushrooms: Five Businesses in BC Touting Fungi Alternatives
- EcoLuxLifestyle: EventsAugust 8, 2022EcoLux☆Lifestyle: The Formidable Diner En Blanc is Back! #HiatusCancelled
- EcoLuxLifestyle: GetAwaysJuly 3, 2022EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Celebrating 20 Years! Enjoy a Staycation at OPUS Boutique Hotel in Yaletown