GOT BAG, the world’s first backpacks made from ocean plastic has finally launched in North America! The collection of four ecofriendly bags are created with 3.3 – 9.9 lbs of plastic recovered from the ocean by the GOT BAG team, and their waterproof coating is made of 100% biodegradable and recyclable ingredients that avoid groundwater pollution. To date, an incredible 117-tons of ocean plastic has been recovered and recycled through GOT BAG’s efforts.
Meet the Eco-Obsessed Founders – Benny & Roman
Co-founders Benny Mandos and Roman Ruster decided to do something with the thousands of tons of plastic polluting the world’s oceans.
A problem on multiple levels that blocks up waterways and harms marine life including seabirds and fish that consume the plastic. And by association, that plastic ends up in our food chains and in the food we eat.
These two have a passion for surfing, sailing and protecting oceans, and together with a team of amazing eco-enthusiasts have created a collection that reduces the amount of ocean pollution while serving as a practical and stylish item for everyday or travel carry.
How GOT BAG Does It
Expansion Through Meaningful Partnerships
In an effort to reduce ocean plastic pollution at its source, GOT BAG leads workshops and training sessions on waste separation for the local community in Java, to create a collective awareness about plastic pollution. The company also supports the establishment of waste infrastructure in rural areas, with the long-term goal of persuading the local government to rethink the way it operates Indonesia’s waste management system, which is the world’s second-largest contributor to ocean plastic pollution. Through its continued growth, GOT BAG plans to expand its plastic recycling operations to other areas.
Production in China?
Even though GOT BAG products are designed and engineered in Germany, Mandos and Ruster found that there were no local manufacturers with the capabilities and technical equipment to transform PET pellets into a sustainable, high-quality yarn. So they turned to a country which had 40-years of experience with just this.
China was not only the world’s leading textile manufacturer that had regional proximity to the clean-up activities in Indonesia, but it turned out to be the only suitable production country for the GOT BAG highly specialized products. Local supervisor Pei Yu monitors the manufacturing factory in Quanzhou to make sure the production meets European standards. Additionally, all workers are locals and live nearby the factory area, in their own homes. All workers are of legal age for employment. Food and water are supplied sufficiently and all workers are paid above industry standards, while no one works overtime hours.
Shop the Collection!
GOT BAG’s line of stylish and eco-friendly products are all made from 100% recycled materials, and are long-lasting, with a 2-year warranty included.
Purchasable online, products include the Rolltop Backpack ($149), the Daypack ($99), the Weekender ($179), and the Hip Bag ($49). In addition to the four bags is a line of accessories, including a wallet, water bottle, cardholder, shower bag and passport cover.
Just in time for the holiday season, GOT BAG is the perfect gift for the eco-conscious or the traveller and is the ideal gift to give back. All bags are 100% water-resistant and long-lasting with a two-year warranty.
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Marketing & Communications Inc and publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine and digital women's lifestyle magazine EcoLuxLifestyle.co. She is a prolific content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist within the ecoluxury lifestyle niche. Post-pandemic, she has worked with many small to mid-sized plant-based/vegan brands to build their digital foundations and strategize content creation and business development. Helen is the west coast correspondent to Canada’s top-read industry magazine Retail-Insider, holds a vast freelance portfolio, and consults with many of the world’s luxury heritage brands. Always seeking new opportunities and challenges, you can email her at [email protected].
- EcoLuxLifestyle: Shopping Sustainably2022.09.12EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Main Street: Five Feel-Good Shopping Experiences
- EcoLuxLifestyle: Health & Wellness2022.08.15EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Mushrooms: Five Businesses in BC Touting Fungi Alternatives
- EcoLuxLifestyle: Events2022.08.08EcoLux☆Lifestyle: The Formidable Diner En Blanc is Back! #HiatusCancelled
- EcoLuxLifestyle: GetAways2022.07.03EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Celebrating 20 Years! Enjoy a Staycation at OPUS Boutique Hotel in Yaletown