When we think of the woods surrounding Squamish, our minds are flooded with images of lush cool forests with the freshest air, the sound of birds, and twigs snapping underfoot. It is within these very woods, that Helena Lane sources ingredients for her Helena Lane Organic Skincare range. A minimally packaged range of artisanal, cruelty-free products designed to simplify one’s skincare regime.
Skincare visionary and founder Helena knows skin. Growing up she “suffered with eczema for years and, like many people, I found mass-market products contained synthetic ingredients that made it worse.” We now know that those ingredients interfere with the skin’s own processes of growth and repair. The skin’s protective barrier deteriorates, creating issues with sensitivities, acne, and premature aging. The Helena Lane products are free from artificial fragrances, phthalates, SLS, petroleum, urea, and synthetic silicones.
The Early Days
Born and raised in Oxford, England, Helena moved to Vancouver in 2009 and currently resides in Squamish with her family. She spent much of the last 20 years working with some of the world’s leaders in natural and organic products – including Neal’s Yard Remedies and Whole Foods Market – and transferred that knowledge into her skincare range which was launched in 2012.
Step Aside 10-Step Korean Beauty Regimens
“Skincare has become complicated, so I created a line to simplify it,” says Lane. “I’m proud of the formulations, made with unprocessed, natural ingredients.”
All of the products ELL tried contained ingredients that are certified organic and plant- or mineral-based, and each product is certified with the Leaping Bunny. (Check ingredients before purchasing as some of the cleansers contain lanolin and beeswax).
Begin with the Basics
“I believe cleansing is the most important stage of skincare,” says Helena. “Get the cleansing right and rest will fall into place.” We love the longevity of the Helena Lane products as the formulations are also water-free, allowing them to be preservative-free, and highly concentrated.
- Balancing Geranium & Lemon Verbena Hydrating Mist – for all skin types, especially combination, oily and blemished. The scent is fresh yet spicy, citrusy and uplifting, and not sticky after spraying. Can be ordered with an add-on of vegan-sourced Hyaluronic Acid.
- White Willow & Clay Mask and Exfoliant – a clay mask that soothes and calms. The formula is 50% clay and 50% certified organic ingredients and comes in a dry powder form to extend its shelf life.
- Sea Buckthorn & Geranium Balancing Facial Oil – for all skin types, especially oily, combination, sensitive and blemished. A blend of lightweight oils – Argan and Rosehip Seed Oil, the Vitamin A-rich Sea Buckthorn, and essential oils of chamomile and geranium. Especially useful as an anti-inflammatory on irritation caused by mask-wearing.
Another reason to love this brand! Helena Lane products are packaged in glass, tin, and recycled cardboard, and are available at WholeFoods Markets, Nesters, Harlow Atelier, and many others in Vancouver. For those residing outside of BC, click here for stockists across Canada.
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Marketing & Communications Inc and publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine and digital women's lifestyle magazine EcoLuxLifestyle.co. She is a prolific content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist within the ecoluxury lifestyle niche. Post-pandemic, she has worked with many small to mid-sized plant-based/vegan brands to build their digital foundations and strategize content creation and business development. Helen is the west coast correspondent to Canada’s top-read industry magazine Retail-Insider, holds a vast freelance portfolio, and consults with many of the world’s luxury heritage brands. Always seeking new opportunities and challenges, you can email her at email@example.com.
- EcoLuxLifestyle: Shopping SustainablySeptember 12, 2022EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Main Street: Five Feel-Good Shopping Experiences
- EcoLuxLifestyle: Health & WellnessAugust 15, 2022EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Mushrooms: Five Businesses in BC Touting Fungi Alternatives
- EcoLuxLifestyle: EventsAugust 8, 2022EcoLux☆Lifestyle: The Formidable Diner En Blanc is Back! #HiatusCancelled
- EcoLuxLifestyle: GetAwaysJuly 3, 2022EcoLux☆Lifestyle: Celebrating 20 Years! Enjoy a Staycation at OPUS Boutique Hotel in Yaletown