The spectacular Cape Floral Kingdom sits at the southwestern tip of Africa. It is by far the smallest, yet easily the richest of the six floral kingdoms in the world. This unique region, encompassing Cape Town itself, offers an unusual but intricate landscape of flora and fauna. This floral kingdom is predominantly ‘fynbos’ (meaning very fine bush), and it comprises thousands of different species, which attract multiple insects and birds.
The Inspiring and Precious Protea
The Cape Sugarbird, synonymous with the Protea, is one of six bird species that occurs only in ‘fynbos’. Sugarbird Cape Fynbos Gin takes its name from this iconic bird, and an important distinguishing element of its taste profile, from ‘fynbos’. This symbolic gin has won for its creators the prodigious status of Winner of Luxury Lifestyle Awards in the category of The Best Premium Gin in South Africa.
The craft spirits’ revolution has been led by gin – after all, it is the perfect candidate, based on its manufacturing history, ingredient complexity, and subtleties of flavour. By the time that Sugarbird gin was founded, at the end of 2017, the craft gin explosion was, in fact, well on its way to becoming a ZAR billion a year industry, and South African gin producers, specifically those in the Western Cape, had begun to make waves in the global renaissance. Perhaps not surprising, given the vast array of fynbos species, 70% of which are found nowhere else in the world.
Augmenting the Traditional
Sugarbird’s goal was to augment the traditional gin ingredients (Juniper, Grains of Paradise, Coriander, Angelica, Cardamon, etc.) with these unique, flavorful, and diverse “fynbos” plant species, bringing something special to the gin. Crafted over many months, the focus of the first varietal (Sugarbird Original Fynbos) was on creating a gin with a perfect balance between floral and citrus notes. As a result, juniper took rather a back seat. The most distinctive fynbos hero is Agathosma betulina (from the Buchu group of ‘fynbos’), the leaves of which are carefully harvested at a particular time of year, to ensure the minty camphor freshness that juniper normally brings.
Sugarbird: Founded in Science
One of Sugarbird’s founders, who has a Doctorate in Science, takes a tireless interest in the fynbos species, and quaintly uses only the Latin names to describe the varietals. His continual experimentation results in a constant supply of new combinations and flavours, and not only for gin. The company has, in fact, just launched a rare 14-year-old pure potstill Brandy that is trickle-filtered through honeybush and other Cape botanicals. Sugarbird’s XO Brandy gives a new dimension to traditional South African brandy.
The Sugarbird team is characterized by bold, innovative solutions and unexpected collaborations to showcase the quality of its products. The company developed 40ml and 50ml mini bottles for gin from recycled PET, which resulted in a cost reduction and a favourable impact on the environment.
Incredible Choices for Consumer
In an effort to provide consumers with not only value but also as much choice and variety as possible, Sugarbird began collaborating with its competitors – South Africa’s most creative craft gin producers. Thus Sugarbird & Friends was born by creating unique multi-brand packages of 5, 9, 12, and 24 x gin minis. Sugarbird undertook selling, design of packaging, label re-design, procurement, bottling, packaging, logistics, finance, and merchandising.
One Year and Counting for Sugarbird
In one year, the company sold more than a quarter of a million minis in this way, giving customers a new experience and allowing South African brands to expand their audiences and gain recognition.
- Luxury Lifestyle Awards is one of the world’s most recognized and respected brands, providing assurance of the highest quality, and representing pioneering excellence and innovation. As media partners, Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine is proud to be chosen to share the stories of worldwide winners who have excelled in their categories. In its 12th year, the Luxury Lifestyle Awards continue to seek and reward brands for reaching the pinnacle of and providing a luxury brand experience to those who appreciate the finest things in life.
- ☆ Luxury Lifestyle Awards2022.05.11Folio.YVR Friends: Verijet – Luxury Private Jet Services
- ☆ Folio.YVR Friends2022.05.01Folio.YVR Friends: Costa Rica’s SARCO Architects Design Dream Holiday Homes
- ☆ Luxury Lifestyle Awards2021.09.16Folio.YVR Friends: Hotel Katajanokka – Luxury in the Heart of Helsinki, Finland
- ☆ Folio.YVR Friends2021.08.17Folio.YVR Friends: SkyLux Travel Flying Above and Beyond