Step into OKOKO Cosmetiques at 162 Powell Street and you will be greeted with a rush of fresh delicately scented air. Across the room, women in lab coats, masks, and gloves, are measuring and mixing. To the left is an inviting lounge area and the gorgeous smile of Oyéta Kokoroko. This skincare visionary and entrepreneur is a Togo-born Formula Botanica graduate who opened her first brick-and-mortar location, for her internationally acclaimed brand, in Vancouver’s DTES.
Oyéta is passionate about innovation in the green arena, research and development, and results-driven sustainable skincare. “My name has its roots in West Africa, where each name has a story and a meaning. In our language, Oyéta means “the last of the bloodline,” which refers to rare, unique, and scarce. Kokoroko means “strength,” specifically a state where you feel strong and healthy (both in mind and body) and refers to the holistic blend of physical, mental, and spiritual well-being,” Oyéta shares.
Her vision with OKOKO is to create sophisticated and multi-purpose skincare that hits all the right notes: high-performance, luxurious, finely made, all-natural, and cruelty-free. OKOKO uses the most high-performance blends of botanicals and oils, actives and delicious aromas to deliver radiant results-driven skincare. Ingredients include Dragon’s Blood Extract (Croton lechleri), Blue Tansy, bakuchiol, astaxanthin, sea buckthorn oil, and more. Featured in numerous major publications, the brand has also won over twenty awards that speak highly of the calibre of the skincare products.
Oyéta has some strong opinions on education when it comes to skincare. “We think it is essential for women to know that not all serums are made with the same quality or efficacy nor deliver the same value. However, in the age of social media and influencer marketing, there is a lot of misinformation and claims about what a product can do. For example, a product can smell amazing, have fantastic marketing, and even have a celebrity endorsement with a high price, but that does not necessarily equal high-performance or visible results. It also doesn’t guarantee that it will deliver the value customers expect with its products. Therefore, it is essential to know what you are putting on your skin by understanding more about ingredients and their function so that customers are empowered to make more informed decisions with their purchases and obtain the maximum value for their purchases.”
L’Élixir de Pureté (Clarifying & Firming Serum with Dragon’s Blood Extract)
Restore your skin radiance with this deeply moisturizing firming face serum. The main powerhouse ingredient, dragon’s blood extract, is known for its soothing and firming properties. The niacinamide reduces the appearance of pores along with nourishing botanical extracts that replenish and renew dull, tired-looking skin. The serum is ideal for stressed and sensitive skin and can be used daily.
Diamant Bleu – Soothing Cream with Niacinamide + Blue Tansy
A high-performance clarifying cream with niacinamide. This cream not only hydrates and addresses a range of complexion concerns, but it also produces that healthy-looking glow we all so desire. Formulated with fresh, natural ingredients, this soothing cream reduces the appearance of redness and breakouts, comforting all skin types.
Detox Purifying Facial Mask – LA D’TOX NOIRE
This mask provides a radiant, inside-out glow. Face masks are essential for skincare, they deep cleanse, remove impurities, exfoliate, and reveal radiant skin. This face mask is especially good for oily or acne-prone skin to decongest and cleanse the skin from toxins, pollutants, and bacteria that can cause breakouts. The mask can be used as an exfoliant, facial, or spot treatment.
The OKOKO Promise is to make high-quality luxury products comprised of nature-derived, beautiful ingredients that are safe, devoid of concerns and astonishingly effective. They have no controversial ingredients, cheap fillers, or exaggerated claims in their skincare or marketing materials.
Oyéta hopes that her products will be enjoyed in those rare, peaceful moments that can be hard to find in today’s busy world. Maybe even to motivate to help find some time that is just for you to relax, regroup, refresh, and rejuvenate.
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Marketing & Communications Inc and publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine and digital women's lifestyle magazine EcoLuxLifestyle.co. She is a prolific content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist within the ecoluxury lifestyle niche. Post-pandemic, she has worked with many small to mid-sized plant-based/vegan brands to build their digital foundations and strategize content creation and business development. Helen is the west coast correspondent to Canada’s top-read industry magazine Retail-Insider, holds a vast freelance portfolio, and consults with many of the world’s luxury heritage brands. Always seeking new opportunities and challenges, you can email her at [email protected].
- FoF ☆ VIP EventsSeptember 19, 2023Bootleggers Cocktails Brings 1st Drone Show to Vancouver [PHOTOS]
- FoF ☆ Charity & PhilanthropySeptember 17, 2023Vancouver Metropolitan Orchestra Celebrates 21st Season
- FoF ☆ PersonalitiesSeptember 4, 2023PORTFOLIO.YVR: Emobily Founder Will Fan Brings Bugatti EVs to the Ecoluxury Market
- FoF ☆ PersonalitiesSeptember 3, 2023PORTFOLIO.YVR: Aylex Thunder Building a Digital Empire One Viral Video at a Time