Step into OKOKO Cosmetiques at 162 Powell Street and you will be greeted with a rush of fresh delicately scented air. Across the room, women in lab coats, masks, and gloves, are measuring and mixing. To the left is an inviting lounge area and the gorgeous smile of Oyéta Kokoroko. This skincare visionary and entrepreneur is a Togo-born Formula Botanica graduate who opened her first brick-and-mortar location, for her internationally acclaimed brand, in Vancouver’s DTES.
Oyéta is passionate about innovation in the green arena, research and development, and results-driven sustainable skincare. “My name has its roots in West Africa, where each name has a story and a meaning. In our language, Oyéta means “the last of the bloodline,” which refers to rare, unique, and scarce. Kokoroko means “strength,” specifically a state where you feel strong and healthy (both in mind and body) and refers to the holistic blend of physical, mental, and spiritual well-being,” Oyéta shares.
Her vision with OKOKO is to create sophisticated and multi-purpose skincare that hits all the right notes: high-performance, luxurious, finely made, all-natural, and cruelty-free. OKOKO uses the most high-performance blends of botanicals and oils, actives and delicious aromas to deliver radiant results-driven skincare. Ingredients include Dragon’s Blood Extract (Croton lechleri), Blue Tansy, bakuchiol, astaxanthin, sea buckthorn oil, and more. Featured in numerous major publications, the brand has also won over twenty awards that speak highly of the calibre of the skincare products.
Not All Serums Are the Same
Oyéta has some strong opinions on education when it comes to skincare. “We think it is essential for women to know that not all serums are made with the same quality or efficacy nor deliver the same value. However, in the age of social media and influencer marketing, there is a lot of misinformation and claims about what a product can do.
For example, a product can smell amazing, have fantastic marketing, and even have a celebrity endorsement with a high price, but that does not necessarily equal high-performance or visible results. It also doesn’t guarantee that it will deliver the value customers expect with its products. Therefore, it is essential to know what you are putting on your skin by understanding more about ingredients and their function so that customers are empowered to make more informed decisions with their purchases and obtain the maximum value for their purchases.”
This mask provides a radiant, inside-out glow. Face masks are essential for skincare, they deep cleanse, remove impurities, exfoliate, and reveal radiant skin. This face mask is especially good for oily or acne-prone skin to decongest and cleanse the skin from toxins, pollutants, and bacteria that can cause breakouts. The mask can be used as an exfoliant, facial, or spot treatment.
A Promise of Clean Safe Beauty
The OKOKO Promise is to make high-quality luxury products comprised of nature-derived, beautiful ingredients that are safe, devoid of concerns and astonishingly effective. They have no controversial ingredients, cheap fillers, or exaggerated claims in their skincare or marketing materials.
Oyéta hopes that her products will be enjoyed in those rare, peaceful moments that can be hard to find in today’s busy world. Maybe even to motivate to help find some time that is just for you to relax, regroup, refresh, and rejuvenate.
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Communications, publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine, and multiple digital lifestyle blogs. She is a content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist in the luxury lifestyle niche. She is a regular content contributor to Retail-Insider and has a vast freelance portfolio including Boulevard English & Chinese editions, Indulge, and Montecristo Magazine. When not attending high-profile events in Vancouver's 'Luxury Zone’ or on assignment abroad, she is honing her plant-based cooking skills and caring for her rescues. [email protected]
- ☆ Issue #16 - Holiday Edition2023.01.23Birks x Greta Constantine: A Most Canadian Collaboration
- ☆ Issue #16 - Holiday Edition2023.01.23Birks High Jewellery: Unparalleled Artistry
- ☆ Issue #16 - Holiday Edition2023.01.22Habitat by Aeon: Shama Gupta’s Global Vision Realized
- ☆ Issue #16 - Holiday Edition2023.01.19Roden Gray: Opens in CF Richmond Centre & Adds Gufram