Do you really need a reason to enjoy dessert? Some say a rich, decadent slice of anything should be a reward for a job well done, but not us. We are Team Sweets all the way! If you are in the mood for something sweet after a delicious meal, are the owner of an insatiable sweet tooth, or are simply looking for cupcakes because it is Friday, here are the five Lower Mainland bakeries for you! These divine establishments offer a range of delectable delights from stuffed cookies to stacked cakes, crunchy macarons to melt-in-your-mouth brownies, swoon-worthy cinnamon buns, and more!
Bonus Bakery – Downtown
Bonus Bakery located on Georgia Street first opened its doors in December 2018. Founder Pierrick Tanguy also owns the delicious plant-based pizza and ice cream restaurant, Virtous Pie. At the bakery, you can find a wide selection of goodies to satisfy your sweet tooth with choices ranging from cookies and cinnamon buns to pretzels. Their goal is to provide the best and most delicious treats with an incredible variety and tastes. If you plan on visiting, make sure to be there early as these treats sell out quickly!
Level V Bakery – Mount Pleasant
Monica Tang from Level V Bakery opened her business in 2018 in the lovely Mount Pleasant neighbourhood. Whether you are craving cupcakes, cakes, macarons, or need a wedding cake, this bakery has something for you, including gluten-free and nut-free options. As a vegan since 2015, she has made it her mission to provide delicious and accessible plant-based desserts to everyone. Her business partner Kimmy Xiao is the owner of Whisk Matcha, so do not miss out on the bakery’s famous matcha drinks while you are there.
Fairy Cakes – Metro Vancouver
When visiting Fairy Cakes you will not only find delicious plant-based desserts but also a little bit of magic, as the name promises. Owner Cera Rivers opened the bakery in 2012 after finding herself with nothing to eat at most gatherings she attended. This challenged her to do better for both herself, other vegans, and those with dietary restrictions. Now she offers a selection of allergy-friendly options and uses primarily organic and locally sourced ingredients. Her kitchen is free-from dairy, eggs, peanuts and tree-nuts, so you can be confident when buying from the Vancouver bakery. Fairy Cakes is sure to enchant you with custom magical cakes and treats.
Edible Flours – Kitsilano
Couple Paul Briggs and Alli Neville founded Edible Flours back in 2011. The Kitsilano bakery is a specialty bakery with gluten-free, sugar-free and keto options for all their desserts. The real eye-catchers are the cake tacos which combine two amazing dishes into one unique dessert. The mission at Edible Flours is to make the most delicious baked goods and cakes using the highest quality ingredients possible.
Purebread – Gastown, Mount Pleasant & Kitsilano
Purebread is a family-owned flexitarian bakery that opened its first store in Whistler in 2010. Now Mark and Paula Lamming create a friendly yet Instagram aesthetic environment across their six locations. The bakery serves a wide selection of desserts with some plant-based options and over 20 different types of bread. You can find classic types such as baguettes, and ciabatta buns in addition to unique flavoured bakes like lavender or rosemary. If you are a bread lover, this is the place to be.
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Communications, publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine, and multiple digital lifestyle blogs. She is a content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist in the luxury lifestyle niche. She is a regular content contributor to Retail-Insider and has a vast freelance portfolio including Boulevard English & Chinese editions, Indulge, and Montecristo Magazine. When not attending high-profile events in Vancouver's 'Luxury Zone’ or on assignment abroad, she is honing her plant-based cooking skills and caring for her rescues. email@example.com
- FoF ☆ Culinary, Wine, Spirits2022.12.07Gastown’s Pourhouse Does the Season Right with Cocktail Countdown!
- FoF ☆ Beauty & Self-Care2022.11.02Explore Alternative Health & Wellness Treatments in Vancouver
- FoF ☆ Culinary, Wine, Spirits2022.10.29Nightshade Wins Coveted MICHELIN Bib Gourmand Award!
- FoF ☆ Culinary, Wine, Spirits2022.10.28Michelin Guide Vancouver Agrees the Botanist Bar is Expectional!