Have you been enjoying the new range of mocktails being offered at your favourite restaurants and lounges? Or perhaps you noticed the preference for non-alcoholic cocktails amongst your peers? While this interest might seem sudden or pandemic-induced, you should know that the movement has been a long time coming—the pandemic just gave it a really big boost!
Of course, since the pandemic, many consumers have started practicing a more mindful lifestyle. However, we believe, over the past few years, that so many took time to re-evaluate their attitude towards alcohol. This desire to ‘drink clean’ goes hand-in-hand with the popularity of plant-based dining, transitioning to a vegan lifestyle, and just being more aware of how we need to adjust our lifestyles to be more health and planet conscious.
The Rise of the Mocktail
During the past few years, retailers have been ready to embrace the opportunity to entice our tastebuds with options from companies and online stores, such as UK’s Seedlip, Canada’s Solbru, Sobrii 0-Spirits, Proxies, and locally produced Lumette and OPUS. Vancouver-based women-led upstart Sansorium now offers over 100 curated non-alcoholic wine, beer, spirits, and our all-year-round favourite Gruvi Dry-Secco!
UVA – Downtown Vancouver
Located in the heart of downtown Vancouver, Uva is known as one of the top wine and cocktail bars in the city, however, their mocktails are equally as worthy of attention. The cosmopolitan yet relaxed atmosphere is the perfect setting for sophisticated, alcohol-free beverages by night and coffee during the day at the café bar. Uva is an ideal go-to for a delicious drink at any time of day. Ask the mixologist what they recommend for a truly refreshing and personalized service!
Mila Plant-Based – Chinatown
Mila, Located in Chinatown, is a plant-based restaurant that aims to raise the standard for vegan casual fine dining. Their seasonal zero-proof cocktail menu was carefully curated to be enjoyed on warm summer days on their new patio. The mocktails are fresh, light, bright, locally sourced and sustainable. The restaurant’s internationally inspired menu pairs wonderfully with their summer mocktails.
Nightshade – Yaletown
Launched with renowned chef Chanthy Yen in 2021, Nightshade has a warm yet elegant dining ambiance with a globally inspired menu. Located conveniently in the heart of Yaletown, the restaurant offers a menu of zero-proof beverages made with intricate syrups that flaunt flavour-forward profiles. Nightshade’s sophisticated and elegant drinks take mocktails to the next level.
Lobby Lounge – Downtown Vancouver
The Lobby Lounge, as the name suggests, is located in the lobby of the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel within walking distance of Canada Place and the waterfront. Glamour meets comfort in this hotel lounge where you can curl up by the fireplaces, enjoy live music, and a beautiful outdoor patio. The spirit-free mocktails complement the rest of the restaurant’s menu making it a great place to start, or end, the night.
Notch 8 – Downtown Vancouver
Notch 8 uses luxurious and contemporary design inspired by the romance of travel in the 1930s to give visitors a unique dining experience. Whether you are joining them for dinner, lunch or afternoon tea, you can find a selection of high-quality beverages and refreshing mocktails to pair with your meal. Located in the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver, Notch 8 pays homage to the hotel’s storied history and legacy.
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Communications, publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine, and multiple digital lifestyle blogs. She is a content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist in the luxury lifestyle niche. She is a regular content contributor to Retail-Insider and has a vast freelance portfolio including Boulevard English & Chinese editions, Indulge, and Montecristo Magazine. When not attending high-profile events in Vancouver's 'Luxury Zone’ or on assignment abroad, she is honing her plant-based cooking skills and caring for her rescues. firstname.lastname@example.org
- FoF ☆ Culinary, Wine, Spirits2022.12.07Gastown’s Pourhouse Does the Season Right with Cocktail Countdown!
- FoF ☆ Beauty & Self-Care2022.11.02Explore Alternative Health & Wellness Treatments in Vancouver
- FoF ☆ Culinary, Wine, Spirits2022.10.29Nightshade Wins Coveted MICHELIN Bib Gourmand Award!
- FoF ☆ Culinary, Wine, Spirits2022.10.28Michelin Guide Vancouver Agrees the Botanist Bar is Expectional!