Vancouver is home to the only Marimekko concept store in Canada. Known worldwide for its luxurious, colourful, and unique designs, Marimekko was established in 1951 by Armi Ratia in Finland. They have 150 stores, including locations in Norway, the United States, Denmark, Japan, China, Australia, Hong Kong, and Thailand.
Celebrating its 70th-anniversary last year, Marimekko is recognizable by the iconic poppy and “is an established brand that has great quality that everything is made to last decades and to be passed on,” says Nateish Wilman, the General Manager of the Marimekko store in Vancouver.
“We know our client’s names, and there are only three of us who work here, but we carry the most beautiful brands. So it is a lovely balance for us that we have this incredible design with all of this history, but it is still just a neighbourhood shop,” says Wilman.
Choosing to launch in Vancouver was because of the large Finnish population. “I think it is kind of funny. You might not think Finland and Vancouver are similar, but Finland can be so rainy and grey, and so you bring in all these happy-looking colours and that is the same here,” says Wilman.
“So much of what we consume is so disposable and that is really the opposite of Marimekko,” says Wilman. “It is about getting that classic beautiful design that will last forever, and every piece has the name of the artist who made it, so it is a cool connection to the history or Marimekko when you get a new piece.”
Shop Marimekko at 851 Homer Street, Vancouver, BC.
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Communications, publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine, and multiple digital lifestyle blogs. She is a content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist in the luxury lifestyle niche. She is a regular content contributor to Retail-Insider and has a vast freelance portfolio including Boulevard English & Chinese editions, Indulge, and Montecristo Magazine. When not attending high-profile events in Vancouver's 'Luxury Zone’ or on assignment abroad, she is honing her plant-based cooking skills and caring for her rescues. [email protected]
- ☆ Issue #17 - Jan/Feb 20232023.03.13Luxury Vegan Travel: Ethos Vegan Suites in Santorini
- ☆ Issue #17 - Jan/Feb 20232023.03.12Lady Dior #7: Celebrating Luxury Design Visionaries
- ☆ Issue #17 - Jan/Feb 20232023.03.11Goodwood: Celebrating 20-Years of Rolls-Royce Excellence
- ☆ Issue #17 - Jan/Feb 20232023.03.11Stefano Ricci: 50th Anniversary Event in Egypt