Impeccably hosted by the dynamic duo of Gloria Macarenko and Fred Lee, the Splash Gala evening exuded an atmosphere of excitement as attendees revelled in lively entertainment, captivating student performances, and an exceptionally curated art auction. The sold-out fundraiser once again raised an exceptional amount in support of arts education for children and youth, thanks in no small part to the dedication of event co-chairs Christie Garofalo and Bruce Munro Wright OBC.
This year’s auction showcased an impressive selection of 96 artworks contributed by esteemed artists such as Rebecca Belmore, Edward Burtynsky, Douglas Coupland, Stan Douglas, Wanda Koop, Elizabeth McIntosh, Lincoln Clarkes, and many more. New this year, in a partnership with Holt Renfrew and Kelly Streit of Mode Models International, was an art-inspired Fashion Moment featuring top model Heather Marks, which ended the night with a splash.
A Gift of Permanence
Renowned Canadian philanthropist Michael Audain and his wife Yoshiko Karasawa were also in attendance and were celebrated for their recent $2 million gift from the Audain Foundation to be permanently endowed in the Arts Umbrella Foundation, in support of access to the arts.
“Thanks to the generosity of the art community, Arts Umbrella can continue to pursue its mission of fostering creativity, self-confidence, and empathy in young people through the power of art”, said Paul Larocque, President & CEO, Arts Umbrella. “It is also with immense gratitude that we celebrate the decision of Christie and Bruce to stay on as Splash co-chairs until 2026.” He continues, “We are sincerely appreciative of their unparalleled contributions and their deep commitment to Arts Umbrella.”
Supporting the Arts for Over Four Decades
Arts Umbrella, a national non-profit organization dedicated to providing arts education for young people, commemorated the 41st edition of its renowned Splash Art Auction on Saturday. Held at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver and presented by Nicola Wealth, the event achieved unprecedented success, raising an incredible $1.8 million. Funds from the event directly support vital scholarships, bursaries, and programming, ensuring access to high-calibre arts education for children and youth in Metro Vancouver, and across Canada.
The 2023 Splash Art Auction event drew an exceptional gathering of over 600 guests, marking the highest-attended Arts Umbrella fundraiser in history. Among the attendees were luminaries from the art world, including Splash artists Lauren Brevner and James Harry (Nexw’Kalus), Bobbie Burgers, Russna Kaur, Marie Khouri, and Scott Sueme. Distinguished guests also honoured the occasion, including Arts Umbrella Co-Founder and Honorary Chair Carol Henriquez, Nicola Wealth President and Arts Umbrella Foundation Chair David Sung, and Nicola Wealth Chairman & CEO John Nicola.
An Important Annoucement
Punctuating the successful evening, Splash co-chairs, long-time Arts Umbrella supporters, and dedicated arts and culture advocates, Christie Garofalo and Bruce Munro Wright, announced that they will continue their roles as co-chairs of the annual art auction through 2026. Showcasing their unwavering support of Arts Umbrella’s mission, this commitment will result in a remarkable decade of steering Splash together.
A Catalyst for Change
Since its inception in 1982, Splash has championed the belief that art is a powerful catalyst for positive change in children’s lives, instilling lifelong qualities such as self-confidence, empathy, and creative expression.
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Marketing & Communications Inc and publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine and digital women's lifestyle magazine EcoLuxLifestyle.co. She is a prolific content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist within the ecoluxury lifestyle niche. Post-pandemic, she has worked with many small to mid-sized plant-based/vegan brands to build their digital foundations and strategize content creation and business development. Helen is the west coast correspondent to Canada’s top-read industry magazine Retail-Insider, holds a vast freelance portfolio, and consults with many of the world’s luxury heritage brands. Always seeking new opportunities and challenges, you can email her at [email protected].
- FoF ☆ Design & DecorNovember 29, 2023Fairmont Pacific Rim Launches Wedding & Gala Design Studio
- FoF ☆ Travel & AdventureNovember 26, 2023Are You Ready to ‘Stay in Style’ with Fairmont Pacific Rim x Dior?
- FoF ☆ Charity & PhilanthropyNovember 23, 2023Young Elite Vancouver 7th Annual Gala Celebration [PHOTOS]
- FoF ☆ Health & WellnessNovember 15, 2023Fairmont Pacific Rim Launches ‘The Nordic Spa’ Wellness Retreat with Thermal Spa