The Sunzen Art Gallery exhibition, “Treasures of the Heaven,” featured the work of Chun Feng Xiang Yu, one of the top porcelain makers in contemporary China, with kilns in Jingdezhen City, the birthplace of Chinese porcelain.
The founder and current owner, Zou Jun, has been working as a porcelain artist for over thirty years. The lifelike characters and grand landscapes are compared with scroll paintings, masterly depicted within inches. Modern aesthetics interpreted with exceptional craftsmanship, Chun Feng Xiang Yu is worthy of the reputation of “treasures of the heaven.”
In over a decade of collaboration between Sunzen Art Gallery and Zou Jun, the curators have collected over a hundred Chun Feng Xiang Yu masterpieces. This exhibition was curated by Sida Chen, produced by Jing Ning and spotlights Chun Feng Xiang Yu’s most important stages of creation, representing the thinking and exploration of Chinese porcelain art and its future.
HISTORICALLY EXQUISITE PORCELAIN
Born in Jingdezhen City, Zou Jun’s ancestors started their porcelain-making business in the early 19th century to support family-owned Chinese medicine shops. At that time, the Chinese medicine shops needed large amounts of porcelains as containers for Chinese medicines.
In 1992, the Hong Kong tea merchant Rong Zhi ordered some customized teawares from Zou Jun, marking his starting point in a new career as a porcelain-making master. Zou Jun graduated from Jingdezhen Porcelain Academy with a systemic understanding of designing and making porcelain. The archaized designs of Chun Feng Xiang Yu porcelains are based on the Late Yuan Dynasty and early Ming Dynasty (14th~15th century) porcelain styles.
The shape, brushwork, thickness of the porcelain body, and blue and white colour have all undergone repeated trials and comparisons. On this basis, the designs are modified with new techniques and a modernist taste. With a great understanding of Chinese porcelain’s history, tradition, and unique aesthetics, Chun Feng Xiang Yu now represents high-quality contemporary porcelain art in China.
Along with an extensive collection of artwork and cultural pieces, Sunzen is also home to numerous exhibitions and events to foster community development between artists, collectors, and professionals.
All photography by Vancouver-based photographer Elvis Yang.
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Marketing & Communications Inc and publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine and digital women's lifestyle magazine EcoLuxLifestyle.co. She is a prolific content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist within the ecoluxury lifestyle niche. Post-pandemic, she has worked with many small to mid-sized plant-based/vegan brands to build their digital foundations and strategize content creation and business development. Helen is the west coast correspondent to Canada’s top-read industry magazine Retail-Insider, holds a vast freelance portfolio, and consults with many of the world’s luxury heritage brands. Always seeking new opportunities and challenges, you can email her at [email protected].
- FoF ☆ Design & DecorNovember 29, 2023Fairmont Pacific Rim Launches Wedding & Gala Design Studio
- FoF ☆ Travel & AdventureNovember 26, 2023Are You Ready to ‘Stay in Style’ with Fairmont Pacific Rim x Dior?
- FoF ☆ Charity & PhilanthropyNovember 23, 2023Young Elite Vancouver 7th Annual Gala Celebration [PHOTOS]
- FoF ☆ Health & WellnessNovember 15, 2023Fairmont Pacific Rim Launches ‘The Nordic Spa’ Wellness Retreat with Thermal Spa