When tasting our way along the Okanagan Wine Trails, we love getting about in a sustainable style, so arranging for Current Taxi to meet us at the airport was an easy decision!
Our adventures began with a visit to the recently opened Mt Boucherie winery. For transportation, we used the Current Taxi app and requested a Tesla Model X! The company’s 100% emission-free fleet features a couple of gull-wings, and they are definitely the most popular.
Founder Dale Conway fought to bring the first new taxi company to Kelowna in almost 15-years. Conway lobbied support from the local hospitality industry and the city’s mayor until he triumphed in 2017 with his first two vehicles hitting the pavement.
After three-years, the electric car service operates like Uber, with 24-hour service, a car-tracking app, and transparent rates.
Even the pandemic could not quell the demand for Current Taxi. With enhanced safety measures implemented, the electric fleet was back operating at capacity, showing both locals and tourists that Current service is safe, secure, and sustainable.
Conway now has ten vehicles on the road in Kelowna and another six in Victoria – an array of Tesla Model X, Model S, and Model 3.
“When we started Current Taxi, the plan wasn’t just to offer a ‘novelty’ EV service, it was to prove to this industry that things can and should be done better.
“Collectively the transportation industry in Canada is responsible for over 171 million tonnes of greenhouse gases each year. In four years of operation, Current Taxi alone has saved 767 tonnes of CO2e from our beautiful province. The difference our industry can make is enormous, and we aim to keep driving this progression,” Conway says.
Cheers to technology and entrepreneurs like Dale Conway, who are willing to take a financial risk for the environment!
- Coleman Pete is a contributor for EcoLuxLuv Communications. Coleman writes about menswear, design, and culture, and can be found combing through vintage clothing racks or reading in one of his favourite cafés in Vancouver's Mount Pleasant neighbourhood. Read more by Coleman at OverdressedNW.com.
- ☆ Issue #12 - October2020.11.04Folio.YVR Issue #12: Current Taxi 100% Sustainable Tesla Fleet
- ☆ Issue #12 - October2020.10.29Folio.YVR Issue #12: Josh Mario John: Caregiver, Entrepreneur & Insta-Renegade
- ☆ Issue #12 - October2020.10.28Folio.YVR Issue #12: Laurin David Rockets from Hockey Rink to Runway
- ☆ Issue #12 - October2020.10.27Folio.YVR Issue #12: Chanel High Jewellery Coromandel Collection