The Folke plant-based restaurant is 1,400-square-feet of country chic in the heart of Kitsilano. The new spot offers an array of unique rustic sharing plates that highlight fresh produce and grains from BC-based farms. The interiors are gorgeous yet simple. The walls are rich deep ocean blue, the beautifully stained wood is complementary to the impressive wine wall, and the seaweed art is by local artist Dana Mulder.
The Duo Behind Folke
Founders chef-owner Colin Uyeda (Kissa Tanto, Pilgrimme), and pastry chef-owner Pricilla Deo (Queen Charlotte Lodge) offer a family-style setting with a menu that promises to change frequently. We love that there will be something new to catch your attention and try, no matter how often you visit!
The beverage program features unique local BC wines, beers, spirits, ciders, and mocktails crafted with housemade sodas. Ask your server for recommendations; as we learned, Spanish-style cider is not your usual bubbly, sweet fruity beverage.
We visited for the afternoon patio service from 3pm to 5pm, which we imagine will continue until Mother Nature makes it impossible! The afternoon Snack menu was simple – five tasting style plates – and a selection of beverages.
The restaurant’s ‘hospitality included’ style of service is unique and refreshing in a culinary scene that is already pricy and expects a 20%+ gratuity. Inspired by the European hospitality model, all staff receive a healthy salary with benefits while promoting a cohesive working environment and aims to create fairness between the front and back-of-house staff.
For those who cannot decide between all the tasty tasting plates, try the Tasting Menu which consists of the chef’s choice of courses and dessert.
Folke Restaurant is open Thursday to Monday from 3pm to 11pm.
All visit photography for this story by Helen Siwak.
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Marketing & Communications Inc and publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine and digital women's lifestyle magazine EcoLuxLifestyle.co. She is a prolific content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist within the ecoluxury lifestyle niche. Post-pandemic, she has worked with many small to mid-sized plant-based/vegan brands to build their digital foundations and strategize content creation and business development. Helen is the west coast correspondent to Canada’s top-read industry magazine Retail-Insider, holds a vast freelance portfolio, and consults with many of the world’s luxury heritage brands. Always seeking new opportunities and challenges, you can email her at [email protected].
- FoF ☆ Travel & AdventureNovember 26, 2023Are You Ready to ‘Stay in Style’ with Fairmont Pacific Rim x Dior?
- FoF ☆ Charity & PhilanthropyNovember 23, 2023Young Elite Vancouver 7th Annual Gala Celebration [PHOTOS]
- FoF ☆ Health & WellnessNovember 15, 2023Fairmont Pacific Rim Launches ‘The Nordic Spa’ Wellness Retreat with Thermal Spa
- FoF ☆ Culinary, Wine, SpiritsNovember 15, 2023Taiwanese Artist Wu Ching Ru’s ‘Pro Terra et Natura’ at Phantom Creek Estates