Lively-sounding jazz music and gorgeously restored vintage cars greeted the attendees of the first annual Ruben’s Open at the Morgan Creek Golf Course on July 18th. Guests had been invited to step back in time to the 1930s and came out swinging in their Bagger Vance-inspired best. The manicured greens were awash in bright plaid trousers, checkerboard knee socks, flapper dresses, feathered fascinators, and long strings of pearls.
Although the previous day’s downpour had revellers concerned, the morning of Ruben’s Open saw azure blue skies with a shining sun and a cool breeze, making for near-perfect conditions on the greens.
Throughout the day, golfers played and grazed hole-to-hole while sampling delicious eats from Cactus Club and The Wooden Spoon. Rocco’s Deli generously provided all with a takeaway gift of their organic tomato pasta sauce. As a Tee gift, golfers received a custom-tailored dress shirt from Indochino and a copy of BC Business Magazine’s Top 100 Edition.
Spirits were elevated with a tasting of Monkey Shoulder Whiskey (Convergent Planning Group) and a unique ritualistic cocktail created with Cocalero Clasico Herbal Liqueur (Chad & Co Mortgages).
With TD Canada Candy Bags in hand, players enjoyed a respite in the Cutler 1920’s-themed lounge, where they captured the moment in memorable vintage-themed photographs by Magik Moments.
At a hole dedicated to Ruben’s Shoes and its mission, everyone was encouraged to shuck their shoes and shoot barefoot with vintage golf clubs. The hole was a 3-part challenge: Closest to the Pin (KP), Best Shot for the Longest Drive, and the $25,000 Hole-in-One prize. Although everyone gave it their best in the friendly competition, there was no victor, and those that tried can seek consolation in knowing that there is always next year.
With a full round of golf under their belts, participants made their way to the clubhouse patio to enjoy the evening with cocktails, jazz with the Jennifer Hershman Trio, and a gala dinner presented by ONNI Group.
Ruben’s Shoes’ founder Kelly Strongitharm then delivered a powerful speech ending in a standing ovation, and the rest of the evening was energetic as guests bid on live auction items including a private dinner with Michael Varga (Chopped Canada Winner, MasterChef finalist), a luxurious weekend stay The Big White House Retreat on Galiano Island and more.
Ruben’s Shoes Society believes that all children worldwide deserve access to education and are currently building a secondary school for 200 students in the Dominican Republic, which is expected to open in August 2020.
Are you interested in leaving a legacy? Contact Desiree Dupuis, Director of Fundraising, here.
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Communications, publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine, and multiple digital lifestyle blogs. She is a content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist in the luxury lifestyle niche. She is a regular content contributor to Retail-Insider and has a vast freelance portfolio including Boulevard English & Chinese editions, Indulge, and Montecristo Magazine. When not attending high-profile events in Vancouver's 'Luxury Zone’ or on assignment abroad, she is honing her plant-based cooking skills and caring for her rescues. firstname.lastname@example.org
- ☆ Issue #13 - Winter 2020/212021.02.16Folio.YVR ☆ Issue 13 ☆ Villa Cielo Lords Over Finlayson Arms at Villa Eyrie Resort
- ☆ Issue #13 - Winter 2020/212021.02.16Folio.YVR ☆ Issue 13 ☆ Coachwerks Restorations: Maestros of Vintage Mercedes
- ☆ Issue #13 - Winter 2020/212021.02.15Folio.YVR ☆ Issue 13 ☆ VI Motorsport Circuit: A Playground for Driving Enthusiasts
- ☆ Folio.YVR Friends2021.02.10Folio.YVR Friends: Guerlain Invites You to Share KISSKISS Tender Matte with Your Lover