Vancouver-based Westbank Corp. commissioned the Cloud Fazioli, a unique beauty with its tumultuous reflective metal plates, for the downtown Deloitte Summit building.
Designed by Tokyo-based OSO and Vancouver-based Merrick Architecture (Michael Skypens and Esteban Ochogavia), the tower’s form is inspired by the shape of a Japanese lantern — comprised of a system of four-storey cubes stacked around a central concrete core. The piano design plays off the reflective surfaces of the tower and recreates this illusion with metal mirrors.
On the street, as those who pass by look up, their perspective is much different from those around them. They ultimately experience different reflections and silhouettes throughout the day and the night.
A Passion for Percussion & Art
Manual Bernaschek of Showcase Pianos works closely with the Westbank team to ensure each new commission is a work of art and realized precisely as designed. “We are very proud of our association with Westbank. Ian (Gillespie) shares my passion for one-of-a-kind art case pianos,” says Bernaschek.
The Cloud is one of the latest pianos that Bernaschek has overseen through his business and he is repeatedly one of the world’s top sellers of this highly sought-after brand.
The Birth of a Cloud Fazioli
The architects at OSO have covered this incredible instrument with a staggering 450 mirrors (100 mm x 100 mm x 1 mm). The mirrors are mounted on 2.5 mm steel rods of various lengths and veer off in many directions. The effect sought mimics the ethereal appearance and movement of clouds. These mirrors represent the large square panels of the building, and, like the tower, the piano’s appearance changes dramatically depending on the angle viewed.
The mirrors were carefully removed when completed to facilitate shipping the Cloud to Vancouver. After unpacking, technicians worked for almost 2-days to attach the mirrors, and then the latest of Westbank’s commissions was ready for an unveiling. Taiwanese-born and Vancouver resident Ariel Tsai (singer, songwriter, youtube celebrity) performed for an excited audience.
The Cloud is a Fazioli Model F228 semi-concert grand piano in black enamel. It was impeccably constructed by hand at the company’s Italian factory in under the watchful eye of the master himself, Paolo Fazioli.
The Birth of a Legendary Brand
Based in Sacile, Fazioli Pianoforti SpA is among the most important Italian companies of excellence in grand and concert-grand pianos. Its activity started in 1981 when the company was founded by engineer and pianist Paolo Fazioli.
Paolo is one of the six sons of Romano Fazioli. Following his passion and intuition, he shaped his way in the family furniture company. He started building a concert piano with sound features completely different from what was on the market at the time.
The subsequent success of Fazioli is also a result of an excellent company team, working with significant scientific and artisan skills mixed with passion, tenacity and commitment to create a unique masterpiece: the piano. The building process lasts nearly two years, from forming the rim to the finished product.
In thirty years, by combining tradition with scientific research, Fazioli has established its pianos among the best in the world, becoming one of the most influential brands, standing out for its attention to detail and sound of its instruments which are among the world’s best pianos. The Fazioli’s that Westbank commissioned have been designed by some of the world’s leading architects, including Bjarke Ingels, Kengo Kuma, and Bing Thom.
Is it selfish that we want this partnership to continue for many decades? Not at all! The world needs more of the beauty created by this trio!
Thank you Manuel, Ian, and Paolo.
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Marketing & Communications Inc and publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine and digital women's lifestyle magazine EcoLuxLifestyle.co. She is a prolific content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist within the ecoluxury lifestyle niche. Post-pandemic, she has worked with many small to mid-sized plant-based/vegan brands to build their digital foundations and strategize content creation and business development. Helen is the west coast correspondent to Canada’s top-read industry magazine Retail-Insider, holds a vast freelance portfolio, and consults with many of the world’s luxury heritage brands. Always seeking new opportunities and challenges, you can email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- FoF ☆ Charity & PhilanthropySeptember 28, 202341st Edition of Splash Art Auction Announced with New Fashion Moment Addition by Holt Renfrew
- FoF ☆ Fashion & LifestyleSeptember 26, 2023OMEGA Commandeers Beach House Restaurant for Seamaster Family Launch [PHOTOS]
- FoF ☆ VIP EventsSeptember 25, 2023Art Rapture Presents ‘The Throwback’ at Ironworks with Andy Dixon, Ola Volo & Rembrandt [PHOTOS]
- FoF ☆ VIP EventsSeptember 19, 2023Bootleggers Cocktails Brings 1st Drone Show to Vancouver [PHOTOS]