Architectural photojournalist Ema Peter has documented some of the most significant international contemporary buildings over the past 15 years, garnering her awards and accolades for her images and key collaborations.
“I believe that every building has a personality and a soul.” ~ Ema Peter
Her exhibition at The Pacific Gallery, titled ‘In the Moment,’ displays a series of unaltered photographs depicting people interacting with significant pieces of architecture from around the globe. Known for pushing the boundaries of architectural photography, ‘In the Moment’ is no exception.
Peter’s work explores the soul of architecture, investigating our built environment and how we interact with it. Living in a world where millions of images are at our fingertips, with ‘In the Moment,’ Peter invites us to pause and look at each image in a more profound way. Her work speaks directly to the heart of the space and examines how architecture supports our humanity.
The exhibition at the Fairmont Pacific Rim features architecture at the forefront of West Coast Modernism in West Vancouver and coastal BC, with selected images of her renowned international projects. The images illustrate Peter’s unique ability to catch fleeting moments: figures moving through space, a cloud tracing the sky, or a rare quality of light.
IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA
Born in Bulgaria, Ema spent much of her youth on set with her father, a cameraman for major Bulgarian film productions. Interested in documenting life as it happens, she became a presenter for Bulgarian TV, eventually leaving Bulgaria to pursue an internship in photojournalism at the Magnum photo agency in Paris.
Peter’s love of modern architecture was ignited by her visits to the Corbusier Villa La Roche building. Inspired by its clean lines and Corbusier’s visionary thinking, she drew from her training in photojournalism to document the architectural world around her. She then led one of the largest photography teams in North America at VRX Studios Inc.
She was also the lead photographer for ad campaigns at Hilton, Hyatt and Fairmont and was responsible for creating photography standards for some of the world’s top hotel brands.
A JOURNEY TO THE LENS
As founder of Ema Peter Photography, she has worked over the past twelve years with some of the most prestigious architectural, interior design, and engineering firms in North America. Ema’s photography has helped many of these firms reach award-winning status. She holds a master’s degree in art and applied photography from the National Academy of Theatre and Film Arts in Sofia, Bulgaria (2000).
Her images have been featured in publications such as Architectural Digest, Elle Decor, Wallpaper, Dwell, Wired, and The New York Times. Ema has received numerous awards, including the 2018 Canadian Architect Inaugural Photo Award of Excellence, the 2022 Dezeen Architectural Photograph of the Year Public Vote, Architizer’s 2022 Award for Architecture + Photography + Video, as well as the 2020 and 2022 Createur Design Best Photography Awards.
She currently lives with her family in North Vancouver and is excited about the opportunities that 2024 holds for her and the team at Ema Peter Photography.
- Helen Siwak is the founder of EcoLuxLuv Marketing & Communications Inc and publisher of Folio.YVR Luxury Lifestyle Magazine, PORTFOLIOY.YVR Business & Entrepreneurs Magazine, and digital women's lifestyle magazine EcoLuxLifestyle.co. She is a prolific content creator, consultant, and marketing and media strategist within the ecoluxury lifestyle niche. Post-pandemic, she has worked with many small to mid-sized plant-based/vegan brands to build their digital foundations and strategize content creation and business development. Helen is the west coast correspondent to Canada’s top-read industry magazine Retail-Insider, holds a vast freelance portfolio, and consults with many of the world’s luxury heritage brands. Always seeking new opportunities and challenges, you can email her at [email protected].
- ☆ Issue #23 - February 2024March 1, 2024This Top-Ranking Team is Passionate About Real Estate & Community
- ☆ Issue #23 - February 2024March 1, 2024Showcase Pianos Presents: Miist the Singer
- ☆ Issue #23 - February 2024March 1, 2024Paolo Fazioli: A Legacy of Sound & World’s Best Pianos
- ☆ Issue #23 - February 2024March 1, 2024The Mercedes-Maybach EQS 680 SUV Elevates City Driving